Saturday, July 5, 2008

God's gift

I heard about her abode in a place of peace
Everyone was visiting her to seek blessings
They came back to talk ceaselessly of her
About her grace and beauty all encompassing

I was intrigued by these stories of her grace
And wanted to pay her a visit once myself
My schedule was quite full and I had to wait
For an opportune moment to present itself

The day finally came when I could fit it in
And I started making careful detailed plans
My dress should be perfect and in good taste
And my appearance should reflect quiet elan

And then arose the question of what to take?
I heard that others were pouring in great gifts
I too did a careful analysis of my possessions
And picked an antique acquired by thrift

I set off for the tryst and the way was long
Misled for a while I trudged wearily on and on
A thief waylaid me and relieved me of the gift
My clothes were torn and soon covered in filth

I reached my destination in tatters and rags
Deeply ashamed I decided to quietly turn back
Still trusting my luck I decided to take a chance
Perhaps from afar, I could maybe get a glance

To my surprise I was allowed to walk in
With faltering steps I made it to her presence
Shamefully bowing my head I asked forgiveness
I was bereft of gifts, and my appearance an offense

Her graceful smile was like a balm to my soul
You gained rightful passage here - she said
Your beautiful inner grace is the greatest gift
And it had been obscured by a show of wealth

God's graceful presence is always within us
Veiling its expression is the swaggering ego
Parting the chains wrought by life's ebb and flow
Behold her beautiful presence glowing above

No comments: