Monday, August 27, 2007

Cutting loose

I used to stand on the sidelines and mock at the warriors
They were on the battle field holding back the daemons
I was the pretender to enlightenment laughing aloud
As carnage and pain manifested in plenty without reason

Stopping beside a warrior who was fallen and dying
I preached to him about the futility of war and death
His weapon slipped from his hand and his eyes closed
He was beyond pain and hearing, his life off in stealth

As I moved on, the battle's fury continued unabated
Men who didnt hate each other stood opposed in battle
One of them called to me for help: Take arms if you can
Preaching can wait, the fight is on, come show your mettle

I paused and then goaded by his voice picked up arms
As I stepped out into the field bedlam arose around me
Engulfed in its gory violent fury, I wielded my weapon
Striking with might I struggled on to vanquish the enemy

I recalled the advice given by the God head long ago
But it was difficult to keep emotions out of my heart
I understood that the soldier had a code of his own
It was ingrained into his being and was never apart

I stopped the preaching that was a part of my mind
And participated in battle with fully focused strength
I cut down enemy after enemy in my forward march
Until as per law I encountered a nemesis in my front

With a single stroke she cut my armor into tattered slice
And with a deft thrust and parry my sword to ground
Receiving a mortal wound at her hand I fell to earth
As I lay dying, her form enveloped my being all around

I realized then that the path to enlightenment was legion
There was the calm sanctuary of the forest and its peace
And then there was the brutal field of battle with death
Both ways led to the same goal, leading to final release

No comments: